Established on 21th August, 1958, Manipur College is the third oldest college in Manipur, the border State of India. The Co-educational College has contributed significantly in the field of higher education in Manipur and country. The College has produced many political leaders, teachers, civil servants, lawyers, journalists, engineers, doctors and in other works of life. The College has been destination of many students including those from the poor families and backward areas of Manipur. The College has excelled in the academic achievements, in extra-curricular activities, sports, culture and in community extension services. There are over 12 Societies/ Cells which take care of the students’ activities, their personality development and community services. The college follows democratic principles in its functioning with various committees, a Students’ Union elected every year and a Teachers’ Association elected every two years.
Today Manipur College is one of the largest colleges with students’ strength of over 2400. It is one of the few colleges in the entire North East India with NAAC re-accreditation and the third cycle is due. There are 14 Departments in the College of which Bio-Chemistry is offered only in Manipur College among the Government Colleges. The College is the only College under Manipur University which offer P.G. Courses in Botany and Zoology. The College is a Government College under the administrative and financial control of Directorate of University and Higher Education, Government of Manipur. The College is affiliated to Manipur University which decides the academic aspect including syllabus, curriculum, examinations and academic calendar. The College offers B.A. and B.Sc. in 14 subjects as well as P.G. Courses in Botany and Zoology.
History of Manipur College is inspiring one. As a part of community efforts of golden era of movements for higher education in Manipur, the visionary local leaders and educationists of Singjamei and surrounding areas of Imphal founded the college. The College is unique and named as Manipur College reflecting the thoughts and visions of the founders and spirit of whole state of Manipur. The names of other colleges are named after either individual names or names of the local areas. Such beautiful vision and idea of the College founders continue after the celebration of Diamond Jubilee in 2018.
The two existing colleges in Manipur in the late 1950s could not meet the requirements of higher education in Manipur. The idea of establishing a college came on 25th May, 1958 at a meeting of the Managing Committee of Singjamei Girls High School. The meeting was held at Mamang Sangoi(courtyard) of Sarungbam Babu Singh, under the Chairmanship of Shri Sanasam Gourahari Singh of Singjamei Sanasam Leikai, the then Secretary to Manipur Administration. A committee of seven members was formed- Shri Pangambam Chaoba Singh, Shri Ningombam Iboton Singh, Shri Thounaojam Iboyaima Singh, Shri Thongram Haridas Singh, Shri Chongtham Nodiachand Singh, Shri Thokchom Lukhoi Singh and Shri RK Tomalsana Singh. The Committee convened a Public Meeting on 6th August, 1958 at Singjamei Girls High School with Shri L.M. Ibungohal Singh, Retired District and Session Judge in the Chair. The Public Meeting decided to establish the college and formed a Governing Body consisting of 15 members to manage the affairs of the college. That was the beginning of Manipur College which is now of the largest College in North East India.